Sunday, 29 September 2013

How many of each?

Last week the children were introduced to "How many of each?" type of story problems. In this type of problem, the children are given the total number and then have to determine the parts. For example: I have a plate with peas and carrots. I have 9 pieces in all. Some of them are peas and some are carrots. How many could I have of each? The children also come to realise that there is more than one possible solution. As children become more familiar with this type of problem, they will learn to find all possible solutions. Whenever children are solving story problems you might consider some of the following: Ask questions to extend your child’s thinking. Here are some questions you might try. Notice that they require more of a response than just “yes” or “no.” ◆ What do you need to find out? ◆ What are you going to do first? ◆ How you are solving this problem? ◆ How did you get this answer? ◆ Why does your answer make sense? ◆ Can you explain that in a different way?

No comments:

Post a Comment